Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Badges and Projects

I started my summer by earning a Cub Scout Bear Badge, a gold arrow and two silver arrows. From there it was 7 projects for the Madison County Fair and now it is earning badges for Girl Scouts. Yesterday we worked on the book badge. I have a 10 year old granddaughter who loves to read! She is an avid reader and knows hundreds of authors. Her favorite place to visit when staying at grandma's is our library, with my other grandkids it is the ice cream shop for lemon ice cream! Of course, our librarian loves her and they can discuss books and authors for hours. As part of her book badge, Brenna interviewed the librarian. I had no idea that my librarian was a high school history teacher in Council Bluffs for 37 years!! Brenna has her mind made up that she wants to become a book publisher and a librarian as second choice. I wonder if her parents have any idea. Brenna came home and whipped out that interview in Word and I was in awe. I think there is a 20 something mind in that little girl's body! Truly amazing. I had no idea. I can see a huge difference between her and the other grandkids. Based on that, please turn off those TVs, video games, XBoxes, WIIs and take your kids or grandchildren to the library. Encourage them to read or read to them. When was the last time you picked up a book?

No comments: