Friday, February 17, 2012

Latitudinal Migration



What is latitudinal migration? It is the movement of animals north and south and the geese are on the move. Yesterday I experienced latitudinal migration in a BIG way. I heard the geese while heading to the compost pile and soon ,from the north, came three different V formations of geese heading south. Suddenly it was like the entire canadian goose population was in the sky. I think I stood and watched for 10 or 15 minutes, maybe more ,as flock after flock flew over. These were big flocks of geese filling the sky! One bunch was heading southwest and I am assuming they were going to St. Joeseph, MO. to look for new spring bonnets. They did not have a directional leader and there was a swirling bunch of them just over the house. Several other groups followed them instead of those traveling straight south. It was pretty amazing to just stand and wonder if it was ever going to end.

No comments: