Saturday, May 19, 2012

Waste not that backing




I try to use, reuse, recycle and repurpose everything that I can and that holds true to rug hooking also.  When you are finished hooking a rug or small piece one always has those big corners and sides of backing that will be cut away and typically discarded.  You can use those pieces also.  I love them for making mug rugs and pins to keep on hand for gifts!  I save the salvage edges of my wool and use those for the strips to hold the pieces of backing to my frame and then hook away.  Sometimes I will hook those corners right after I finish a big piece but if I'm pressed for time I just save the sides for a day I need a break from hooking something larger.  The mug rugs and pins go fast!  I need to get a closeup picture of the sunflower pin with the santa mug rug and tree rug.  I had some leftover brown burlap (think I picked it up at the thrift store) and I pulled the strands apart.  Then I took 4-5 strips of the burlap, held altogether, and hooked the center of the sunflower!  Love the texture that it has, almost like a real flower.  I am going to hook a small mat and use burlap strings entirely.  Want to dye a bit of it first.  Hope your day is full of joy.

No comments: