Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Gift of Old Age

Received an email this morning, one of "those forwards" that was about things learned at various ages of life. After much thought I have decided old age is a gift. I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometimes despair over my body...........the wrinkles, the baggy eyes and the sagging boobs and butt. I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving husband and family for less grey hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that raspberry scone with a cup of spiced chai tea, or for not making my bed, or for buying that piece of turquoise that I didn't need. I am entitled to overeat, to be messy, to be extravagant. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging. Whose business is it if I choose to read or hook a rug until 4 a.m. or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60's and 70's. I will play my flute while sitting on a stump at the park, making a fool of myself. I will wear my hair in a braid, put on round wire rim glasses and wool socks with Birkenstock sandals despite the glances from the younger set. They, too, will get old. I am sometimes forgetful now. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten! I can say "no", and mean it. I can say "yes", and mean it. As you get older, it is easier to be positive! You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong. I like being old. It has set me free. I like being the person I've become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. I will do my best to do what God wants me to do with what is left of the rest of my life. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance!!

Van Morrison

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sherrie: Thanks for this post! It has a true meaning behind it. Thus, makes me want to frame it and hang it on my wall....