Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Discarded Treasures



You've heard the saying, "one man's trash is another man's treasure". What a treasure we have in our new "automatic" washing machine!! Can't wait to try it out! We had to order a small part for the wringer. And yes, they still make some parts for the old Maytag wringer washers. This machine is run by electricity but LaVern is contemplating changing it to a gas motor. We can run it with solar for now. I remember mom had a wringer when we kids were small. We've had this one running. I love the sound it made while agitating. I was surprised at the agitation. Guess I thought it wouldn't be enough but I don't think that is going to be a problem. Needless to say, pennies compared to a new machine. I'm amazed at the new front load washers at $900 and up. Yikes! $20 for a washer is in my budget!! I'm betting when I get home today that LaVern will have the part in and will be washing a load of towels to see how it works. Hmmmm, maybe he will like it so well, wash day will be on his schedule. Finding new uses for an old and beloved belonging is the essence of simple living. There is usually quality and worth beneath the scratched surface of a discarded treasure. You may discover a hidden treasure that no one else sees.

No comments: