Friday, November 20, 2009

Tears for the Job Jar

Shortly after we moved to Oberlin we received new neighbors across the street, Leo and Marianna Bendon. After much RV traveling they had purchased a home in Oberlin and a dearing friendship began. Even though Marianna could be my mother (the age thing)she was a kindred spirit and still is. Leo has since gone home to our Father but a day doesn't go by that something reminds me of the great times we shared. When it snows, I think its Leo throwing down baseballs from heaven. He LOVED to listen to baseball on the radio. One rare time LaVern and I went to a Rockies game in Denver, sat right behind the pitcher and called Leo on our cell phone! We brought him back a bag of peanuts! And of course the "crooked post holes" but that's another story to be shared. He was a great mentor for us and we often went to him for advice. Some advice he gave to LaVern was to forget the "honey do list" and get a Job Jar. I had never heard of such a thing. He told LaVern to get alittle pint jar and put all those honey do's on separate pieces of paper and put them in the jar. Then just draw one out once a week and do it. He pulled LaVern aside and whispered to be sure and add jobs like taking a break, golfing, taking a nap in the jar also. ha ha I went home and promptly found a jar and made the list. I took it up and showed it to Leo. He got quite a chuckle out of the jar, GALLON size. This morning I was racing around doing things and I thought to myself I need a "to do list". Surprise! Opened a cupboard and there sat the Job Jar. If I could have, I would have put my tears into the jar but then Leo would probably start throwing snowballs down so instead I laughed and thanked him.

No comments: