Sunday, February 26, 2012

Great Possessions

"Blessed of the Lord be His land, for the precious things of heaven, for the dew, and for the deep that coucheth beneath, And for the precious fruits brought forth by the sun, and for the precious things put forth by the moon, And for the chief things of the ancient mountains, and for the precious things of the lasting hills, And for the precious things of the earth and fullness thereof, and for the good will of Him that dwelt in the bush."........by David Grayson written in 1917.

Great book talking about possessions and then the real advantages of country life. He talks about our senses, hearing, seeing, smelling as being far greater possessions than anything else on this earth. After coming in from a hard day in the field, swathing hay by hand he states: "As I came in from the field that night the sun was low in the hills, and a faint breeze had begun to blow, sweetly cool after the burning heat of the day. And I felt again that curious deep sense I have so often here in the country, of the soundness and reality of the plain things of life."

1 comment:

Robin Leuschen said...

Oh my...Reminds me so much of the times while my husband and I farmed on the family farm for 10 years...Our children were all small
and it was a family affair.. I never felt so alive !! The closeness you feel to God , through His creation...The weather was always such a big part of life, all senses were used in the observation...you could smell rain coming, see the back sides of leaves,feel the change in pressure and wind direction and of course see the tell tale types of clouds...I miss it so.....